Thursday, April 11, 2013

WINTER SOLDIER'S END

On the cancellation of WINTER SOLDIER with issue #19:

Well, I won't lie, after spending the last 9 months or so living in Bucky Barnes's skin, I'm a little heart broken. He's grown to be a very special character to me, maybe my favorite Marvel character ever, and I felt I could've written his story for years. The opportunity to do so came at a very trying time in my life and really helped me through some tough stuff, so in it's way it's very personal work. I hope that shows.

That said though, really, enough cryin' in my beer. I'm VERY grateful to everyone involved with the book all along the line for making it such a worthwhile experience. First among them, Nic Klein, for being such a tremendous collaborator and corroborator. He really summoned up the power of whatever Dark Pagan God he worships for this series, and though his soul may be damned, it was worth it for comics y'all. I'm no less thankful to our editors and the production folks, chiefly Lauren Sankovitch for having the steely nerves of a riverboat gambler, and giving us all the support any team could ask for. But maybe most of all I'm in the debt of the special community of fans who stuck with us and showed us such big slobbery love through out. I know it was hard losing folks as revered and talented as Brubaker and company, but thank you for giving us a real shot.

Comics can be a hard business. There are macro-scale factors involved in decisions like this that sometimes have nothing to do with what's actually going on in the book. I was never under any illusion that this gig wouldn't be an uphill battle in every regard. Nic and I had some tremendous shoes to fill and we both knew we were up against it from the start. But it was a challenge we welcomed, and even with this news I consider what we've done to be a real success. I'm thrilled that the bulk of the people who've stuck around or have tried the book in our run seem to have enjoyed our story as much as we've enjoyed telling it. My hope is that the next two issues give y'all the big explosive send off Bucky's first series deserves and that I'll be playing in his muddy little sandbox again. Hopefully much sooner than later.

More soon...

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this news Jason. Really enjoying your take on Bucky. And Nic's art is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a huge bummer. Thanks for the awesome issues thus far. Winter Soldier is absolutely the most underrated series out there.

    Can't wait to see what you've got planned for the final issues. I hope you get the chance again to write Bucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jason,

    I loved your WS as much, if not more than Bru. You and Nic honored everything Ed and his artists put into motion and then some. I will miss the dark humor from Nick Fury and Robards...

    I hope you get a chance to work on the character again (with Nic too.)

    Thank you the great arc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm bummed but not surprised. Marvel emphasis on the main Avengers & X-Men books, combined with interwoven narratives, double-shipping schedules and comics cost, has the effect to marginalize more self-contained books. But let's see the glass half full: you got to tell a great Winter Soldier story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dammit, I was worried this would happen eventually, but not his soon. It bugs me that a million people will buy the Spider-man, X-men, and Avengers books just to complain on the internet about how much they suck. Where as a quality title, with fantastic art and story, gets overlooked. At least we got to enjoy Bucky's story while it lasted, great work Mr. Latour and Mr. Klein, and all involved in this title.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really sucks. Bucky and Fury really need their time in the spotlight. And yet there are other characters appearing in multiple books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your work on Winter Soldier. This was one of my favorite launches. You made the transition seamlessly, and I felt you were going to take us an a great ride. I'll be sure to look out for your name elsewhere.

    Thanks again. My respects to you and Mr. Klein.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so angry right now. This is Marvel's best book. And if you can't tell, Bucky's my favorite character. Thank you Mr. Latour for writing the great stories that you did. Not many people could handle filling Brubaker's shoes, but you did a fantastic job. I hope you do more exciting things in the future and maybe write Bucky or Fury again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy the book. Sorry to see you go but looking forward to what's next on your plate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a whole lot for what you got to do. You took a good spin on Bucky and it was amazing while it lasted. Hopefully you can carry on eventually, but wishing you the best of luck in your next venture. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the story. I was sad to see this was the last issue. not happy with Marvel changing story lines and canceling great books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its a shame I sad when Brubaker left, but you did a great job and I really was enjoying the direction you took it. Bucky is my second favorite character after Wolverine but only because he has gone through the wringer longer.

    ReplyDelete